Monday, May 16, 2016

Journal 6 Chapter 13


I’m not a huge fan of modern art, but one movement that I do enjoy is Surrealism. I find the paintings and drawings of Salvador Dali very interesting, humorous, and eccentric. Dali’s art appears as dreamlike sequences and the subconscious. Probably his most famous painting is the Persistence of Memory.
This is well known for the soft watches that are an unconscious symbol of the relativity of space and time. The watches are a theme that Dali uses again in later work.
When I was a student in college I did a summer study abroad in Spain. I had the opportunity to travel by train from Barcelona to Figueres in the Catalonia region of Spain. Figueres is the birthplace of Dali, and on the train ride to that town you get to observe the landscape of that region, which Dali paints in his paintings.
In Figueres there is a fabulous museum and theater dedicated to Dali. Those are eggs on top of the building. The museum is eccentric in true Dali style. It houses the biggest collection of his work.


Sources: Meggs’ History of Graphic Design, Wikipedia, http://www.salvador-dali.org/en_index/


No comments:

Post a Comment